The Arts of Quest

Jesus, arts, and anything in-between.

Monday, August 28, 2006

connecting...

I don't know if you've noticed, but we've been blessed to have a good number of new people walk in our doors the past couple of weeks. I get real excited when I meet these new people, but something that I read in our devotional caught me off guard. In the 2nd week, Mike asks the following question:
"Ministry is more than just meeting needs; it's about connecting with the person in need. What does that mean to you in your life?"

When I thought about this, I had to step back and think why I am I going out of my way to talk to the newcomers at our church? Is it because I'm excited that our church may be growing? I think my reason should be that someone new has walked into the door that has their own story. They have their own issues. They have their own questions. And I should be excited that I and my church can minister to them and hopefully grow in our walk with Jesus together.

When I read this question, I also thought about music and the arts. When we sing a song on Sunday morning, are we singing it because we think people will think it's cool and can sing along to it? Or are we singing it because that song just may meet someone where they are at, and connect them with God? This can be true with any art...