The Arts of Quest

Jesus, arts, and anything in-between.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Here it is...


I've picked out what I think could be a very cool devotional for us to start off with. It's called, "My 30 Days Under the Overpass" by Mike Yankosi. From what I understand, this guy chose to become homeless for a month to discover what it's like to be an outsider and someone other people mock and neglect. I thought this concept would be right on with our church focusing on other people, inviting people to worship with us and being Jesus to our community. This is a 30 day devotional, and if any one is interested in joining me, they are for sale for $10 at Berean or Amazon dot com.

In the first part of the book, Mike (I'm on a first name basis with him...we're cool) talks about how Jesus interacted with the outsiders in his time..."He lived with them, listened to them, ate with them, (sometimes He brought the food), partied with them, healed them, wept and laughed with them".

He then goes on to say that loving people isn't a "calling" but a "direct, nonnegotiable command".

I don't know about you, but that put me in my place. At times on Sunday morning when someone new comes in the doors and I go out of my way to talk to them, I feel good about myself because I feel like I've done God a "favor" or that made me a good person. But to know that that is what I'm SUPPOSED to do? Not under obligation, but because that is what God did for me?

Matthew 22:39 - "Love your neighbor as yourself"

Notice he doesn't say, "Try to love your neighbor", or "If none of your other friends are around, love your neighbor".

I think for those of us in the arts, we have a nice way of connecting with others. Almost everyone appreciates some sort of art. We can, in a very non-threatening way, connect with those outside our circles through our art. Do you know anyone who shares a same interest as you (music, art, drama, tech) who is searching for an answer or doesn't know Jesus?